Hello there readers. Today, I would like to share with you some of the common mistakes happening in our speech among Malaysians.
Are you able to figure it out? No? Let's see together.
Here are some of the common mistakes I found.
1) Everything that ends with - AKE
For example : MAKE, TAKE, BAKE, CAKE, RAKE, LAKE, SAKE.
Mistake : We usually pronounce it as BEK, MEK, KEK, REK.
Correction : First, pronounce MAY (as for May I help you?).. then, you add the K.. Together, it will be MAYK. Apply the same rule for others too. Make sure there's a sound of -ay at the end of each word.
2) Everything that ends with -THER.
For example: MOTHER, FATHER, BROTHER, DAUGHTER, RATHER.
Mistake : We usually pronounce it as MADER, FADER, BRADER.
Correction : It's -TH not -D. MA THER, FA THER, BRA THER.
3) Everything that ends with an 'O' sound
For example : GO, SO, TOE.
Mistake : We usually pronounce it GOO, SOO.
Correction : It's Goe, Soe./ Gowe, Sowe. There's a -we sound at the end of it and not simply O.
4) Things that have with 'b'
For example : DEBT, PLUMBER
Mistake : We usually pronounce it according to the spellings.
Correction : It's DET, PLAAMER. We omit the 'b' sound.
5) Other common mistakes found in our daily lives
- Mature - We pronounce it as MECHERD. but it is supposed to be MACHUARD.
- Bury - We don't say it as beri (as for memberi in BM) but BAERY (as for marry)
- carrier - If the meaning is carrier as for occupation or work, we say it as KERIER (macam kuih keria tu) not KAERIER.
There you have it. Make sure to speak it right next time! Well, I know, most of you are ashamed to pronounce it correctly. But be ashamed to pronounce it wrongly!
Still don't understand? click HERE for more info. If you have any suggestions or questions, just comment down here and I would be delighted to help. Thank you and have a nice day! :)